Sunday, August 3, 2008

My first Gig (Sparkyboy) and the response

Braving a cold winter's night I settled of to Kleine Libertas, a quaint venue in Stellenbosch to open for awesome local acts: Desmond and the Tutu's, Unit-R and kidofdoom.
The bands were a bit late so I sat around minding own business. When the bands came they all sound checked, but I was getting nervous as it took longer than I expected. So the venue had to open the doors to let people in; it was getting too crowded.

So basically all the lights went off, and I had to do my line check and set-up all on my own while a huge crowd was eagerly awaiting some kickass tunes. I fondled in the dark for a table and quickly started setting up. Taking out my toys and Gameboy I could've only imagined what the crowd thought.

Alas when I started with Local Bar, the crowd went beserk. I quickly played through my 25min set and ended with an encore. I threw my 45 CD's into the crowd and already I got offered another gig, an interview with a magazine and a guy wants to use my music in his student film project.
The response to say the least was unexpected and overwhelming. Where I should've felt privileged for the response, I left the night with a confused mind and a sour taste in my mouth. This is not what I wanted. I'm scared of this becoming a scene thing. The reason I got into 8bit music is not because it's totally indie, but it is absence of pretentiousness. I don't want to cater for Crystal Castles indie wannabes, but to the people who enjoy 8bit music for the pure enjoy joy it creates.

A conglomerate of people who enjoy the nostalgia and the associated nerdiness and general incapacity to be awesome when associated with video games. I stress: it's not pretentious rock star nonsense. The you're so indie thing is not what I want.

So I'm now considering the future of Sparkyboy. My choice of gigs will be most important. I'm not here for the fame.
If only there were more 8bit artists in South Africa.

No comments: