Monday, October 27, 2008

Music and Me: An Introspective Rant

Over the past week, I've been kinda re-evaluting my stance on music. I try to live by the ideal that I will listen to any music, despite prejudices, connotations, ideas and notions; ergo have an open mind.

A previous blog post last week I went into ranting about how I hate zealous bidding of bands such as Fokofpolisiekar and all their respective children they have spawned, but somehow they were not a part of my ideal. I had judged them before I truly listened to it. On a even deeper level: I judged, and that is not part of my life philosophy. I live by the ignorant notion that I shall not judge anyone or anything based on whatever they do. I was not granted the all mighty smiting hammer so I could damn everyone, because they do 'bad' things. Who am I, to take that role?

Don't get me wrong, I'll not be a totally void of opinion, because I'm scared of judging people. That's a whole different ball game. Let's take music as an example again:
I like music, and I try to listen to every kind of music. However, when someone plays me some music, and unless the band or artist is musically horrendous (bad notes, flat, rhythm is off etc), I will take it in for subjective growth experience it provides. I might not go ape shit over it and hail it next messiah, but I will most definitely not say, that shit is horrible. Some things I like more than other, but I'm not in the position to condemn it.

So, taking Fokofpolisiekar, Van Coke Kartel and aKing as examples: bands which I have completely condemned, because I despised them for various reasons, I will now remove that veil and go listen to their music. In the end I'll have a more informed opinion, although I might not necessarily like them, and I'll know that I at least gave them a chance. And if I don't like them, I'm going to go about evangelizing the support for bring down band 'x', because of 'x' reasons.

So, in retrospect, The Afrikaans Phenomenon post was uncalled for. I felt strong about something, but I should've rather focused on the constructive rather the destructive.

Cheers,
Niel

1 comment:

Francois said...

Glad to see that you've given them (FPK) the time of day dude. I also read the earlier post you made about Afrikaans music. FPK has been there since 2000/1999 so like someone else mentioned the teens today are never going to be apart of the "movement" that existed say 3-4 years ago when they were at their peak. I liken FPK to a band like Slipknot. Fine Slipknot were probably more original in some ways than FPK but its not like either of them redefined their genre! But what they share is an intense passion for what they feel and are one of those few bands which people feel an alliance with. They aren't JUST a fan... its more like joining an army! FPKs lyrics speaks to the heart and not alot of people (Hunter) can write like that. Both bands are bands are bands to believe in and thats the point here. People forget that the most successfull bands in the world were not necessarily the best musically but the bands that managed to connect with their fans and shared their passions and anguish or whatever negativity they might have had. That is rare these days.