Thursday, July 3, 2008

Doomsday... Again!

Yes, for centuries, doomsday evangelists has walked the Earth: from the Y2k bug, to the babbling of priests fearing the Anti-Christ and don't forget that - hopefully - future fallacy; 2012. Being as open minded as possible I often fall prey to doomsday conspiracies. Maybe, because I feel I need a deadline to work to my utmost. Seeing as we don't know if life is a punishment or gift, we might as well do the best with it that we can.

So, being the theoretical psychics buff, I found a great a interest in the recent project being built in Switzerland: The Large Hadron Collider. Again, doomsday dudes crept out of the cracks and announced the end of the world in August 2008. A recent article at CNN debunks the fears mostly, but there is a minute chance something catastrophic might happen: from roque particles, to mini blackholes and magnetised monopoles.

The strange thing was that I did not care if the world ended in August. I might not experience Blip Festival or the sweet divinity of fornication, but I could not have cared less. "Why is this?", I tried to ask myself. Is it that the date is so close, that immediately my sub-conscious debunks this myth as false. My survival instincts can not comprehend this.

Alas, I'm not afraid of death either. The workings of the sub-conscious boggles me. However, another intriguing anomaly might arise from the using of the LHC: small wormholes.
In effect, the LHC will become a time machine that creates Year Zero. The first time frame for time travellers to travel back to. You have to ask yourself, if you believe in the single timeline theory, that why are there no people visiting us from the future? (I assume now that time travelling is possible and the future generations found a way to do it and did not die before creating such a machine).
Maybe, just maybe, the LHC could create a minute wormhole for time travellers to use. Imagine when those two atoms hit, travelling at 99% the speed of light, instantly brings new people into this world from the future. Now wouldn't that be funky!?

The true use of the this particle collider is to find out more about lost particles, such as the Higgs Boson, or just plainly researching atoms and quarks at a quantum level, but my imagination wishes for other interesting events. Now we sit back and wait!

1 comment:

Nicolene said...

So I stumbled upon this via a link on my Facebook homepage, and being insatiably curious, I simply had to see what it’s about.

This entry particularly intrigued me, as I had rather a lengthy discussion about time travel with a friend in my physics class. We were doing quantum physics - but only scratching the surface really – which was hugely unsatisfying as we expected to be blown away by the sheer mind-boggling-ness of it all. Thus we decided to go on a little flight of fancy of our own.

We considered the single timeline theory, and not wanting to lose faith in future generations finding (or having found) the key to time travelling, decided that we believe more in the possibility of parallel dimensions or alternate timelines. This theory begs the question: are these timelines/dimensions/realities connected? Does doomsday imply the end of all the timelines or perhaps only one? Maybe the end of the world has happened before, only not the end of the world as we know it. Maybe we all have secret lives in different dimensions. Perhaps the past Niel, present Niel, future Niel concept isn’t as strange an idea.